Thursday, November 20, 2014

Character Customization, Gameplay, and Visuals

Here we go with the first actual game designed related post!

One of the big struggles for AIF is the tension between visuals, text, and gameplay. In the early days of AIF, this was simple because very few games used visuals. Now it is far more common, and is certainly a key part of my vision of the games I want to create. I understand those that are against visuals being a key part of AIF, but I enjoy creating them and featuring them in the games I design.

The challenge comes in terms of the amount of images needed for a game, which increases with the game's complexity. A linear game without customization can get away with a limited number of images, because the possible variables are low. Once you start allowing for non-linear gameplay and / or customization, the number of required images grows exponentially. This not only increases the amount of images that need to be created, but also increases the size of the game file, which is a consideration for some players.

With my current efforts, this becomes an issue with player character customization. While no game using static images can ever compete with the Sims or Skyrim in terms of the variety of possible character visuals, I believe that complex AIF can allow for some customization of the player. Personally, determining the player's visuals are a huge part of RPGs, and AIF as well. I always feel more connected and immersed in a game that lets me define my own character, rather than being forced to play a pre-generated one.

The question comes with the balance between having many options, versus the number of required images.

For example, if we allow the player 2 clothing options, 2 hair color and 2 hair style choices, then the total number of basic images for the player is 8. But what if we decide that the player should also be able to have a custom body, with 2 options? Now the total number of required visuals is 16! And what if we decide that the total number of clothing options should be 10? Now we need at least 38 images of the PC! And that is just for a single portrait view of the character, not including the number of variations required if we want to show the PC in various scenes or other images. Yikes - that gets out of hand quickly, especially considering my crummy math abilities!

I'm curious what the playerbase wants most out of this part of the game design. No customization / pre-generated PC with tons of images? Limited choice between pre-generated PCs with lots of images? Some customization with some images? Or tons of customization with few images? Or the best of all worlds with full customization and many images? And if customization is desired, which elements are most important?

I think the game genre also plays a role. If I am working on a fantasy game like Adventures, I don't see customization as being quite as important as a game with a modern theme. The reason is that in a game like Adventures, players are off in the wilderness or dungeons or whatever for most of the game, and thus it makes sense for them to have a limited wardrobe, for example. In a more modern game, players should be able to head to the mall to buy outfits or get a hair cut or dye their hair or whatever. A rogue sneaking through a dungeon is probably going to stick with the same leather armor much longer than a college kid is going to stick with the same t-shirt and jeans - or maybe not!

I have created a poll, which should be available on the right side of the blog. I'm interested in which elements of customization are most important to players. I'm also interested in your feedback / comments on this subject, or requests for specific topics to be raised.

In the next few days, I plan to have some details about the project I am focusing on, with some of the current visuals as well.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I'm one who isn't AGAINST images, but often worry about them as well. On the one hand, they can go on to help a game. I can't say that I didn't enjoy the games in the late stages of Goblinboy's stuff. Meteor, GoP final games, all nice stuff that certainly didn't hurt the game, it likely helped them.

    That said, there are also obvious drawbacks. Time is a huge one. As you mentioned in your post, any changes can lead to tons more work, and even leaving the characters the same throughout can be daunting. Not to mention you have to write on top of that.

    Likewise, I like pictures as an additive to the text, not a replacement. The words can be steamy and sexy (or fun or scary - whatever you are going for), and JUST seeing a picture of it can almost take away from the experience. In that case I'd rather have an outright interactive novel or game. Having someone explain what is going on, what leads to this or that, how the characters react - all that can be more exciting than just seeing a still frame of the final result.

    Finally, the quality of the image can make a big impact. If the images are high quality, it obviously takes a huge investment of work. If they are low quality, then it can make the story worse than had they been left out. It isn't often a game killer or anything, but if so much time is put into those images and the result is bad, then it wasn't worth the effort.

    I can't think of a lot of examples of this, but I am sure some are out there. Going back to goblinboy, I know one of his earlier GoP games had in images of the characters. They were all just images from the net, like the little mermaid and that sort, and they weren't at all connected in any artistic way. It really looked crappy and would have been better without any at all IMO.

    In the end though, these are all personal projects, rarely (if ever) for cash or fame, so I say do what you will and what you enjoy! Like you seem to, I enjoy customization in any form. I know it makes the game way harder to do, but as a player it is always a nice touch. Picking a race in a fantasy game, choosing what clothes to wear in a sim, does my guy have brown hair or blond - all great ideas!

    I would just advise not to go crazy with it, or if you do, harshly limit the pictures. Getting a game done at all is ridiculously hard, especially since it is just a hobby and life can get in the way pretty easily. I wouldn't go for the max options / max pictures unless you get a team or something to hammer things out. You could always have 'some' pictures, and add more later as an extra. Obviously big downsides to that (people already played it, don't care about the pics, time was wasted), but it is an option.

    Sorry for the long winded post, just figured I would share all that! Best of luck and keep us updated! Us readers are suckers for updates ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very thoughtful feedback, thanks! I actually appreciate someone taking the time to provide well thought out discussion, so please don't apologize!

      Completely agree that the text and gameplay MUST take priority. If I was running a game studio, I could make a full featured game with real time 3d visuals. Obviously I lack those resources, so I am never going to be able to create a game where visuals can compete with text for descriptive power. I will work hard to create a balance between visuals and text, but ultimately text has to carry the weight of description and gameplay.

      Delete